Featured Post

Keith Green - Oh Lord, You're Beautiful

Friday, January 10, 2014

A glimpse in Eternity cont'd

I eventually returned to Arugam Bay where I was excited to get a crewing position on a 27-metre schooner called the “Constellation”.

We sailed out of Sri Lanka in the middle of the night en-route for Africa and twenty-six days later, after many sea adventures, we arrived in Port Louis harbour on the island of Mauritius.


While I was in Mauritius I lived in Tamarin Bay, among the local Creole fishermen and surfers.
Hashish (Marijuana) gave us a common bond and they accepted me into their lives and taught me to night dive on the outer reefs.

Night diving is an incredible experience. The crayfish come out at night and you can blind them with your under water flashlight and just pick them up. The fish go to sleep at night and you only need to decide which one you want to spear for dinner. It was a fantastic sport and we would sell our catches to the local tourist hotel.

After surfing my heart out on Tamarin’s very fast left-hand reef break for several weeks, I was running out of money. So I headed to South Africa where I found a job teaching windsurfing and water-skiing.

Amazingly they actually paid me to do this! I surfed Jeffrey’s Bay and Elands Bay and visited some of South Africa’s world famous wildlife reservations.

My desire was to travel over land through Africa up into Europe, but my plans were completely changed when I heard from New Zealand that my younger brother was planning to get married. I wanted to be at his wedding so I made the decision to return to New Zealand via Reunion Island, Mauritius and Australia


(At my stopover in Reunion I found an amazing surf break called St Leu where I had some great waves to myself. Then I headed on to Mauritius. It was March 1982 and I’d been travelling now for nearly two years, often sleeping in a tent on beaches and living like a nomad. It was time to return home.)

To be cont'd
Blessings...
Yaddy

No comments:

Post a Comment