Featured Post

Keith Green - Oh Lord, You're Beautiful

Friday, May 8, 2009

WHY......GO TO CHURCH?

A church go-er wrote a letter to the editor of the local newspaper and in this he complained that
"it made no sense" to go to church every Sunday.

"I've gone to church every Sunday for the past 30 years...." He wrote, "And in that time, I must have heard 3000 good sermons, but for the life of me, I can't remember a single one of them!"
"So, I think I'm wasting MY time, and the pastors are wasting theirs as well!"

This started a real controversy in the "letters" column, much to the delight of the editor.
It went on for weeks...until some one wrote this clincher!!!!!


"I've been married for 30 years now. In that time, my wife has cooked some 32000 meals, but,
for the life of me, I cannot recall the entire menu for a single one of those meals.
But I do know this.....they all nourished me and gave me the strength I needed to do my work.
If I hadn't eaten those meals, I would be physically dead today!
Likewise...... if I had not gone to church for nourishment, I would be spiritually dead by today!"

And this too.....

Several years ago, a preacher moved from Melbourne to Sydney.
Some weeks after he arrived, he had occasion to ride the bus from his home to the inner city.

When he got to his seat, he found the driver had accidentally given him 20 cents too much in his change.
As he thought about "what to do" he decided he'd better give it back.... it would be wrong to keep it!
Then he thought....." Oh, forget it....it's only 20 cents.....the bus company already gets too much fare....they'll never miss it.... accept it as a gift from God, and keep it quiet..."

When the bus pulled up at his stop, he got up to get off the bus, he paused momentarily at the door, then handed the 20 cents back to the driver and said...."You gave me too much change..."

The driver replied with a smile..."Aren't you the new preacher in town?
I have been thinking lately about going to worship somewhere.....I just wanted to see what you would do....if I gave you too much change...."

When the preacher stepped off the bus....he literally grabbed the nearest light pole, held on to it tightly and sobbed...." Oh God....I almost sold your Son for 20 cents!!!"

Bless you....

Yaddy

No comments:

Post a Comment