Featured Post

Keith Green - Oh Lord, You're Beautiful

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Fill my cup.....Lord

John 4:14, "But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst;
but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life"
__________

The song "Fill My Cup, Lord" was written by Richard Blanchard and published in 1964. The song was an immediate hit, becoming the number one gospel song in America for about 20 years, after the heyday of "How Great Thou Art." Writing music was the primary way Richard communed with God and in times of stress, he took refuge at the piano."
In an interview by Dick Evans, writer for the Miami Herald, Richard was quoted as saying, “Quite often I will play around with a song idea in my mind. All of a sudden it will gel. A few of my songs have been given to me by the Lord.

It took only six minutes to think up the words of 'Fill my Cup, Lord’ and was finished with the music in another 20 minutes.

He was born to Missionary parents in China, growing up as a "preacher's kid" in poor churches in Indiana where his parents ministered during the depression, serious health problems resulting in removal of two lobes of his lungs, moving to the South during World War II while his dad was an Army Chaplain, the call to preach during his years at Mercer University in Macon, and incidentally, where he met his future wife, Anne, a student at Wesleyan College, were the different factors that shaped Richard’s ministry.
I sincerely trust this wonderful hymn has spoken to your heart as it has to mine. Enjoy!

Fill My Cup, Lord

Like the woman at the well I was seeking
For things that could not satisfy;
And then I heard my Savior speaking:
"Draw from my well that never shall run dry".

Fill my cup Lord, I lift it up, Lord!
Come and quench this thirsting of my soul;
Bread of heaven, Feed me till I want no more--
Fill my cup, fill it up and make me whole!

There are millions in this world who are craving
The pleasures earthly things afford;
But none can match the wondrous treasure
That I find in Jesus Christ my Lord.

Fill my cup Lord, I lift it up, Lord!
Come and quench this thirsting of my soul;
Bread of heaven, Feed me till I want no more--
Fill my cup, fill it up and make me whole!

So, my brother, if the things this world gave you
Leave hungers that won't pass away,
My blessed Lord will come and save you,
If you kneel to Him and humbly pray:

Fill my cup Lord, I lift it up, Lord!
Come and quench this thirsting of my soul;
Bread of heaven, Feed me till I want no more--
Fill my cup, fill it up and make me whole!
__________

Closing thoughts:

In the book of John, Jesus had finished His long walk and was sitting by a water well, when a Samaritan woman came by.
Jesus asked her for a drink, and as they talked, she realized she was spiritually thirsty, spiritually needy and searching for God.

So Jesus offered her "living water." She was eager for this "living water" because she desired to never be spiritually thirsty again. As they talked she came to believe that He was the Messiah. So she asked Jesus for the living water. Jesus said, "He who believes in Me, as the scripture has said, 'from his innermost being will flow rivers of living water (John 7:38).'"

Maybe the Lord has brought you to this devotional because you have been seeking things from the world that don’t satisfy? If so, go to Jesus as the Samaritan woman did, and He will do for you as He did for her, because you have a need only He can fill and a need that He alone can meet. So, my friend put you trust in God’s Son, Jesus Christ this very hour and taste the “living waters” that He offers and it will satisfy the cravings of your thirsty soul!

Only Jesus, the Living Water, can satisfy the thirsty soul!
God bless Mikey

bless you all Yaddy

No comments:

Post a Comment