Featured Post

Keith Green - Oh Lord, You're Beautiful

Tuesday, January 3, 2023

Acts 10...Peter and the lowered sheet

You would not believe....
how many people tell me that we are not allowed to eat, prawns and lobsters and crabs, because in Acts 10, the sheet that comes down, most people miss-understand what it means...
and I am told it means “ that the Gentiles have been cleansed by God"

. And that was true, but we have to keep on reading... verse 10: Peter became hungry....

(verse 9) Now the next morning, as they were on their journey, and came closer to the city, Peter went up upon the housetop to pray, about the sixth hour: ..

10 and he became hungry, and desired to eat: but while they made ready, he fell into a trance;
11 and he beheld, the heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending, as it were a great sheet, let down by four corners upon the earth:
12 and there were all kinds of four-footed beasts and creeping things of the earth and birds of the heaven in it.
13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill and eat. He was told to kill and eat! So, whatever was in the lowered sheet, was allowed to be eaten( I would say crabs and prawns and lobsters were creeping things I checked, there are only a couple of species that swim.)

14 But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten anything that is common and unclean.
( most commentaries explain this as it means peter can now also go to the gentiles and Cornelius is one, and he was told to call for Peter...

15 And a voice came unto him again the second time, What God has cleansed, do not you make common.

16 And this was done three times: and straight-way the vessel was received up into heaven.

then further down in verse 26b Peter speaking to the people there, “Stand up; I myself also am a man.”

27 And as he talked with him, he went in, and found many had come together:
28 and he said to them, You yourselves know how it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to join himself or come to one of another nation; and yet God showed me, that I should not call any man common or unclean:
29 wherefore also I came immediately, when I was sent for. I ask therefore with what intent ye sent for me?

Cornelius told him that 4 days ago, as he was praying, and a man in bright cloths stood before me and told me my prayers were answered and to send for you. So I did...and you came...
So. as you can see it means both, it emphatically states Peter was hungry....>br> and he was told to go...and eat...
Blessings...
Yaddy

No comments:

Post a Comment